Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Face That Launched a Thousand Ships

I’ve always heard that black animals have a harder time being adopted. It could be the superstitions surrounding them, or the fact that they are simply “plain” an un-unique pattern, or simply that they do not photograph well. Whatever the case, I have always had a soft spot for the underdogs (no pun intended). Perhaps it’s because I feel that I myself am one.
Once upon a time I had a random thought… “I will one day own a home of my own and adopt only black animals!”
Now, I have plenty of these hair brained (dang, I’m punny) ideas from time to time but few are ever followed through on.
This one in particular though was a chance meeting. About a week after I moved into my new home I heard a faint “mew” at the front door. It grew louder and more persistent.
I had spent the past week acquainting myself with the neighborhood furballs and naming them as I saw fit. But when I opened my door an unfamiliar black blur burst through the door and with no hesitation made for the guest bathroom.
At first I found it rather humorous thinking a neighbor cat had perhaps lost their way. I soon discovered that this house belonged to this cat…
She was very hungry and very skinny. She devoured the tuna that I offered her. As I thought back to the initial cleaning I recalled vacuuming kitty kibble from that very bathroom that she seemed so fond of.
After eating her tuna she had no intentions of leaving, she cuddled right up on the couch for a nap!
My home was a bank repo and I learned from the neighbors that the owners had left well over six months prior. How sad that someone would leave her behind.
She showed up around 8pm.

Meet 8ish:

Alias:Miss 8ish Pie
Sassy Pants








I can’t say she has the best attitude but I also can’t say I blame her. I’ll tell you one thing though she doesn’t wander far from her loving home.
She is obviously a survivor, with plenty of war wounds to prove it.
Her favorite pass time is snuggling on her fuzzy blanket at the foot of the bed….and bullying the young’ns.
She knows she’s the boss and that’s fine by me, I’m sure she has earned it.

5 comments:

  1. ps - the word verification I got was itiot...I think your blog has some latent aggression...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrmm, the word verification for my previous comment was "bra man." What is your blog trying to say? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Miss 8 ish...we love her, glad she runs the place & has a snuggle spot at the end of the bed.Hugs & love Mom

    ReplyDelete